Thursday, June 6, 2019

Denmark? It must be Wednesday!

I checked 3 separate weather forecasts; they all disagreed with each other. As the sun was shining, I decided to believe the most optimistic one. I still had a lot of ground to cover today to get to the northern tip of Denmark to catch the boat to Norway. So I started off for a while on the autobahn before the smaller roads started.
Crossing into Denmark, the roads became quieter and more fun to ride, although the countryside is still pretty flat with a lot of wind turbines scattered across the horizon. Not much to distract from chewing up the miles; but Norway is the prize for these long flat, straight roads. Not bad, but I can't wait for some mountains!
As I got to about 30 miles short of the ferry port, it looked like the weather might finally be turning after a generally fine day. The mist descended and, as if it was pre ordained, I passed a "Bikers Rest". Quick u turn and I pulled in to find a mixture of simple rooms, bunks and camping aimed at us in the 2 wheeled community. I took a room (only £23, dirt cheap for Denmark). As soon as I'd settled in, the sun came out again. It was late enough to stop anyway and I was obviously destined to stay here.
Turns out its election day here in Denmark. The whole route up was covered in campaign posters; no idea who won.....I'm guessing the politicians!

Long straight Danish road.

Highest point for miles around.

Bikers Rest

Local brew.

The mist descends......

Soundtrack: "Stick in a Five and Go", Sleaford Mods




No comments:

Post a Comment

Rest Day.

A bit of sleeping, a bit of wandering about, a couple of beers. More sleep, more beers. My bike is feeling neglected and it felt odd not to ...