Monday, June 10, 2019

More rain...........

My apologies as I'm becoming obsessed with the weather, but: today started VERY wet! I tried to wait it out for a while in the hope it would improve. It didn't. It would have been better to have holed up for the day, but I had to get south so I would be in time for my ferry back to Denmark tomorrow.  So I set off, climbing up to the pass and through a couple of tunnels; the rain relentless along with a biting wind.
Over more high passes, getting colder and wetter. I could see vague mountain outlines through the gloom, just enough to hint at the stark beauty hidden behind the veil of rain.
Stopped for a break to find my "waterproofs" are mis-named! No wonder I was cold. Ever southward and I began to see almost defined clouds up ahead; not just a uniform gray, but some white as well. Could it be? Yes! Gradually the rain eased and the sky softened. I was eventually able to remove my "waterproof" outer layer, so that my riding clothes could dry out in the wind. By the time I got to a town (Evje) about 40 miles short of Kriatiansand, there was even some late afternoon sunshine; what a change from the morning!
Stopped for the day and got a room next door to a pub!! Things are looking up! Not! I don't know if it's because it is sunday or early in the season, but the pub was closed. Even the hotel bar stopped serving at 6pm! There is some sort of global conspiracy going on here. I'm not paranoid! There was a mobile food van selling Thai food though (run by Thais); so at least I ate well.

The rain is good for the waterfalls.

The mighty XT doesn't mind the rain.

Brightening up??

Is that a patch of blue sky?

Finally some sun!

Soundtrack: "Cloudbusting", Kate Bush.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rest Day.

A bit of sleeping, a bit of wandering about, a couple of beers. More sleep, more beers. My bike is feeling neglected and it felt odd not to ...