Wednesday, June 12, 2019

This fecking weather though..........

I spent the first few hours on the motorway headed south in Denmark and Germany. I wanted to get some miles under my wheels so I'd have time for a rest day before I head for the ferry and home.
Rode into a bad storm in the south of Denmark: torrential rain combined with the spray from all the lorries on the road made visibility very poor. It got old very quickly. Fortunately as I crossed into Germany, the road gods took pity on me and the deluge eased into showers. I'd had enough of the autobahn, so I bailed on to quieter roads. I was headed for the Elbe ferry again, but this time there was a looooong queue of cars, lorries and campervans backed up down the road. Being British, I dutifully took my place in line; this could take a while. After about half an hour, a kindly German gentleman told me that bikes don't need to wait and can ride straight to the front. At least that is what I assume he said (my German is non-existent), nobody shouted at me as a passed all the backed up traffic, so I guess it was OK.
The River Elbe seemed to be the front line between 2 warring weather gods. Fortunately for me, the sun god held sway in the south. Finally able to dry out a bit, I decided to keep riding while the weather held. My goal was to stay somewhere near Bremen. As I was now on the back roads, this proved difficult as road closures with no diversions forced me to ride by compass bearing, south and west. I passed a guesthouse in a small town whose name I don't know and decided to call it a day as I was now pretty much lost.
Not many photos today as it was mostly too wet to get my camera out.
Note to self: really must sort out some decent weather/waterproof gear!

My route plans before they got soaked.

Crossing the Elbe to the realm of the sun god.

Soundtrack: "TCR", Sleaford Mods.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rest Day.

A bit of sleeping, a bit of wandering about, a couple of beers. More sleep, more beers. My bike is feeling neglected and it felt odd not to ...