Thursday, June 13, 2019

Can you drown on "dry" land?

I am so done with this rain. As I got to within maybe 15 or 20 miles of Amsterdam, it was monsoonal (but without the heat). Probably the worst it has been so far. Could barely see anything at all, even my GPS, which was about a foot from my face, may as well have been on Mars; how I found my hotel is close to a miracle. My waterproofs have given up all pretence of fulfilling their function. I would have been drier if I'd swam to the hotel; if I'd been 20 minutes later, this may have been my only option. It's official, climate change is real and we are all f@*#$d.
Rest day tomorrow; if only to try and dry all my gear out. So, Amsterdam. Hmmm, plenty of bars to choose from (predominantly Oirish, staffed by Aussies; I've been doing extensive research!). The smell of weed in the air is overpowering in places. Every other person is English; says it all really. Fortunately, being a miserable bastard, I don't feel obliged to talk to anybody!
But! Global city means global food. So, for me, Thai, of course. Not the Dusit, but I'll take it.

The sights of Amsterdam.

Soundtrack: "Us fish must swim together", Subhumans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rest Day.

A bit of sleeping, a bit of wandering about, a couple of beers. More sleep, more beers. My bike is feeling neglected and it felt odd not to ...