Saturday, June 8, 2019

Stunning Norway.

Well, the hotel I stayed at last night was kind of odd. Big place, but virtually deserted. "The Shining" came to mind, the power cut at 11pm added to the surreal nature of the place (it's like deja-vu all over again). 10 km to the nearest bar, so drinking alone in the hotel; but at £8 a pint that was never going to last long. I even resorted to watching the football........tough times!
I was quite pleased to ride away in the morning, not least because the sun was shining. The road gods were smiling on me today: a combination of excellent roads and jaw-dropping scenery combined with the perfect weather made for an epic riding day. I continued north up the valley I'd been following the previous day before cutting west high over the mountains to Lysebotn. Note to riders: the Fv337 / Fv987 / Fv500 from Nomeland (on route 9) to Lysebotn is well worth your time, especially if the sun is out.
In descending from the high passes down to the village there are 27 hairpin bends, one of which is in a very long, very dark tunnel. I got to ride it twice,once down and once up. There was a group of Belgian riders in the village, so I gave them a cheery wave as I rode out: they looked at me like I'd just fallen out of the devils arse! Bikers, especially on the continent generally acknowledge each other as they pass with an outstretched left hand. I don't know what the Belgians problem was. Miserable bastards!
The stunning scenery continued as I pushed west, deeper into Fjordland. Lots of friendlier bikers around; though yet to see another UK rider.

Not enough bike pics in this blog!

High in the mountains.

Lysefjord.

The road to Lysebotn.

I'm in this one!

A couple more short ferry crossings later on in the day to get across the fjords. I pushed on perhaps further than I should have; but I wanted to make the most of the conditions. The word is that the weather will take a turn for the worse tomorrow. So ended the day in a little place called "Sand"; very tired, but very happy after one of the great days on the bike.


Yet another ferry crossing!

Soundtrack: "Good good day", Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Rest Day.

A bit of sleeping, a bit of wandering about, a couple of beers. More sleep, more beers. My bike is feeling neglected and it felt odd not to ...